Friday, October 31, 2008

Road trip to North Carolina

Our first road trip with a toddler, hmmmmm, what can I say except the next time we will FLY! We "the scrapNdiva family" drove from NJ to Nashville/Rocky Mount North Carolina to celebrate the 60th birthday of mr. scrapNdiva's husbands twin uncles. It was a nice trip, always good to see those relatives that you don't see often. This trip gave me the opportunity to see a side of Xavier that I've never seen before, mainly because we've never really traveled in a car with him as a toddler for longer than an hour and maybe fifteen minutes. I learned that after 2 hours, he looses his patience, gets restless, AGGRESSIVE and all the "tated's" you can be - irriTATED, aggeTATED and just MEAN-O-TATED! At one point, I found myself playing feety-toes with him, he enjoyed that for a long time, like 10 minutes..... (seemed forever at the time)



I think we stopped about 3 times so he could stretch his legs (didn't even think to take pictures at the rest stops), we backed out of our driveway at 9:28am and arrived at our hotel in Rocky Mount at about 5:45pm and Xavier might have taken a 40 minute nap - YES - you said it - HE DID NOT SLEEP - he gabbled, said Elmo at least a gazillion times (he loves Elmo)

Once we arrived and checked into the hotel, opened the door to our room, XAVIER was overwhelmed, he loved the rooms as he didn't know where to start, it was perfect for him, everything at his reach, no locks on cabinets, fridge or the dishwasher - HOG HEAVEN, he went room to room walking, crawling and scooting. He tried to leave the room many times, you couldn't open the door without him saying "out" or "nanna's house" he was just too cute!

The weather was horrible in NC, rain, COLD, FREEZING COLD!! It was coat and scully hat cold outside - here are a few pics from the get-a-way. Oh and Xavier loved that darn golf cart and all the cows he was able to see. ENJOY





How do you keep your toddler "busy" during a long road trip?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made the long haul from NY to Florida several times when my kids were young. My suggestion? Lots and lots of new toys (not necessarily expensive ones...just ones that are brand spankin new...toys or gadgets or picture books that he's never seen before)

Back in the day when we traveled, there were no laws about car seats...so my back seat was always fixed up like a bed, with pillows and blankets...so we had no problem with naps.

*Tanyetta* said...

I am the same way on long road trips. Have I ever told you I am the WORST passenger in the car on a road trip?

I gotta pee like every 30 minutes. I get cramps and I get all the TATED too! LOL

Me and Mikey would have driven you CRAZY!!!!!!

So glad you got a chance to get down south to see the family. I can't believe he's a TODDLER!!!!! You already know he's growing up so fast.
Miss you!!!!

TanishaRenee said...

Love the "tateds"! haha!

I've been pretty lucky with road trips with the boys. Donovan usually talks me to death then fall asleep...as long as he has snacks and a couple of toys, he's OK.

Anonymous said...

I'm truly glad that was not me. I can stand to travel especially with a loud as TATED kid.